Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Feature Requests
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Why the heck do we only have shows in 15 mins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cheezdawg475 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cheezdawg475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why the heck do we only have shows in 15 mins...
    Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 10:58pm
Why do we only have shows in 15 minute intervals?  For someone like me that runs an 11 minute show I have to fill that extra 4 minutes with a blank sequence which means no music unless I want to hear the same song over and over again play....

I can't even set a 5:00-5:00 show and tell it to end after the playlist is finished, it chooses to play the same playlist OVER and OVER and OVER until my next scheduled event.... which even at best the next sceduled even I can set is 15 minutes later, which leads me back to square one.

Ideally all I want it to do is play 11 minutes of sequences and shut off and play my standby radio station, but I can't quite do that, I don't see why we can't say run till anytime we want or atleast 10 minute intervals, or it seems maybe even if we had the option of doing a 1 minute interval we could tell it to play the playlist once through and then have it stop, yet the way it's set up, this is not possible as far as I can see.  or even a checkbox that says play this one at this time and quit, should be even easier to program.  I dealt with it last year but I am a little frustrated to not see it incorporated to the newest/newer versions.
Bigindian View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Bigindian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 6:40am
Have you looked at the playback settings in Boreasis?  Under the settings, it gives the options of playing a playlist when the sequencer is not operational.  It alllows an alternate playlist  to fill your airtime between playlist cycles. 
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Albert Einstein
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 8:30am
I dealt with that by eliminating the entire "show" concept.  I originally had a an opening sequence, two closing sequences (which meant having a long playlist with the two closer songs alternating) and 3 minute interim show sequence (all lights on, no music, just an announcement every minute counting down how much time was left).  But once I saw cars driving away because they saw nothing going on (and let's face it, you can only stare at a static display for so long), I changed my interim show sequence to a 15 second sequence announcing "If you just missed our last show, don't worry, the next one starts... right now!"

For me, that worked so much better than a set show time, and a lot more people got to see the "show" that way who would have otherwise driven off.  While a few folks stuck around to hear my entire loop, most people tended to watch one or two songs anyway.
~Jonathan
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 7:46pm
Same here - I've built up enough songs over the last few seasons that I'm probably in the 20-30 min range.  Even with 11 min, you don't know when people are going to drive up.  I just loop with one opening at the very beginning, some voice overs between some of the songs, and a closing at the end.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 7:50pm
We don't do "shows", we run the intro at dusk, then just let the sequesces for until ... whenever, then sut it off.
You could just make your intro part of the show, and just let the entire thing run in a continual loop until it's time to shut off.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 8:41am

One of Borealis' best features, its simplicity, is sometimes also one of its weaknesses. 

I never really tested the "fixed show" format (as opposed to a looping show) with a show having a duration less than 15 minutes.  I can see how this is a problem and I've added this as an issue to be resolved in a future release.

In the meantime, if you can calculate the number of "dead air" seconds between shows, then you could create a silent WAV file with Audacity (or your editor of choice) to use in an empty sequence.  This would make your sequences exactly 15 minutes so that you could just schedule the whole night as one show using the repeating method.

cheezdawg475 View Drop Down

Quote cheezdawg475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 11:30pm
Thank you for taking care of this in the next release, having show times are very important to me.  I live in a smaller community and when it does get busy I need people moving in and out.  If I run a continous show traffic gets nuts.  Thanks again!
dylanwalker View Drop Down

Quote dylanwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 1:41am
I'd like to second the request for arbitrary show times.  I also noticed that Borealis doesn't let you schedule a show to run once only (you must add something in the loop field or else it complains that no sequences were selected).  I'd really like the ability to play single sequences.  For example, last year I used the scheduler to light my own new years ball drop [I know you can "hack" around this by creating a silent empty sequence and having it loop after your intro sequence].
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 10:12pm
A bit from the 15 min thing... When I click on any day to add a new show, could it please have the START DATE as the date that I clicked on instead of the first on that month?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 4:01am
That one is my fault (kinda).  Way back when (last September, to be exact) Borealis would crash on me no matter what we tried.  It was ultimately decided it would be better to simplify things which is why now, no matter what date you click on, it will go to the first of that month. 

I have a feeling that when 2.0 does come out, Borealis will have some more capabilities.  However, the beauty of Borealis is that it is so simple a very scaled down machine can run it, so I don't expect there to be a lot of bells and whistles on the next version.
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>