Cutting rope light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting rope light
    Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:26pm
I have a lot of rope light that I'm not going to use in it's full length and all the rope light I have had warnings on them saying not to cut them. My question is can all rope light be cut or did I buy the kind that can't. If it can be cut safely can someone provide a little lesson for me on how I should do it. all I need is 2 peices about 3 inches long and another about 6 inches. Thanks
Jeff

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 5:18pm
Are the lights inside in series or parallel?

MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 5:38pm
Cuttable rope light has markers about every 16 to 24 inches. It usually is a miniature pair of scissor. Sometimes the rope light you buy at Lowes or HD can be cut but you have to be very careful. If you cut it too short it will break the circuit and just not work. Usually you can't remove the connectors easily and move them either.

You cannot cut a piece of rope light to that length. If you need just that much you can mask off the section you want and paint the rest black, then hide it as best you can.

Holding breath for DMX.
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 5:42pm
All the ropes I have are cutable in 18 inch or 36 inch lengths, but then they are also rolls intended to be cut and are marked at cut points.  If you happen to have some that have a segment not lighting (like I once did) could indicate that it's cutable at lengths equalling the segment that's not light. It worked once for me but I wouldn't try it unless you have a piece you don't care about.  Knowing me I'd probably wreck a perfectly good 18 ft ropeConfused

But only 3 inches and 6 inches I highly doubt it. 

Edited by bdkeen - 16 Nov 2009 at 5:43pm
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 7:55pm
I don't know if the lights inside in series or parallel?  I will have to look but I do have some that are dark in areas but it said do not cut. I think I have a solution though, I found out that some auto parts stores have 5ft cuttable lenghts of  neon that might work for what I need. I'm going to check that out this weekend. Thanks for your help.
Jeff

MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 8:11pm
Incandescent rope light sections are in series.

Holding breath for DMX.
 Post Reply Post Reply