Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Feature Requests
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Improvement requests for next version.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
frankr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote frankr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Improvement requests for next version.
    Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 9:20am
1. Cut & Paste

a)  This MUST be improved. simple cut and paste takes waaaayyyy to long. I have 256 channels in my sequences and it can take up to a minute to paste a simple 16 channel 16 event chase just using the standard delete and replace style. (My PC is a T2500 core2 Duo with 2GB of RAM).

b) between sequences (I know everyone says it...)

c) This is a truly new one. If you could make it work I think it would be awesome if I could cut and paste between normal channels and RGB channels and have the events use the color of the source channel. This could be very useful.

2. control and navigation:

a) allow the arrow keys to move the active cell and allow holding shift key down to select multiple cells.

b) Study Excel for how this should work.  IF I select a cell hold shift and press end it should select everything between the active cell and the end of the line.

C) Home and end keys work great but only move through events. we need a good way to move through channels as well.  Be that page up/down or double tapping home or end moves you to the top most left cell or bottom most right cell respectively.

D) Add window sliders... There is no reason not to have them....

3. Multi thread.

No offense but the app is not exactly the fastest on earth. Many actions peg 1 core of the CPU for minutes at a time. If you can do something to get both CPUs engaged it would be helpful.

4. X-10 support.

I use this for static elements (tune to sign) and my post show security lights.

I have spent considerable time with Aurora, S2 and LSP.  Aurora has some of the best usability in some cases and struggles in others. At least it does not crash my systems like LSP....  Right now sequencing with Aurora is painfully slow.  I find myself pasting something and then going and doing something else while I wait.  Its hard to stay focused... (It should be noted that LSP is pretty bad in this regard as well)

That said RGB channels and Firefly support work flawlessly and the spectrogram is excellent.

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by frankr

3. Multi thread.

No offense but the app is not exactly the fastest on earth. Many actions peg 1 core of the CPU for minutes at a time. If you can do something to get both CPUs engaged it would be helpful.

Really? I work on a dual quad core and cprocessing is fairly even, as well as on our dual quad core.

That's on Vista and 7, both 64bit. What OS are you in?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
frankr View Drop Down

Quote frankr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 11:54pm
I am running XP 32 bit...  It is interesting to hear that SMP functionality works better with later OSes...
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:24am

Multithreading:

There are some threading improvements which can be made, but since those involve a major change (pretty much a rewrite), improved threading is a 2.0 item.
While there is some multithreading in Aurora, it was purposefully kept limited in the 1.0 version to keep the architecture simple while the initial issues were shook out.  Since we know what we are doing now, we can afford the complexities in a new architecture for 2.0.

Cut/Copy/Paste:

Yes... this needs help.  It used to be much much better in the early betas, but we made a DLS format change around 0.5 which messed this up.  Unfortunately, we didn't catch it in testing until after 1.0, and by that time it was too late to fix.  Many of the delays surrounding 1.2 were related to this issue, and this is one reason out of several that we were attempting to migrate the new DLS for 2.0 into 1.2.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 30 Nov 2009 at 9:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply