Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

sticking/stuck channels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pony_God View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sticking/stuck channels
    Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 7:22pm

I'll start with the point, then give the background.

The point: I'm thinking that Borialis is sending out erroneous commands causing channels to get stuck.

So here's my thoughts.
1. Durring the 2008 season, we did have sticking channels that cleared themselves up the next time that the channel was used. These stuck channels were fairly minimal, far between, quite random.
Aurora .41, F/W 1.15beta, single network, 6 ACx16s, 1 Firefly.

2. This season we have quite a few stuck channels that still clear themselves out on next use. These channels are much more predictable, I know what songs, and what chases that they will get stuck in almost every time.
Aurora .69, F/W 1.15beta, F/W 1.16, dual network, 12 ACx16s, Firefly not up yet.

3. We have had the last two controllers on network 1 loose thier IDs (even though we didn't loose any IDs last year) and yet they are getting command at times. The times that they are getting the commands are the exact same times that other channels get stuck on other controllers on other networks.

4. The channel that's getting activated on the two controllers are the same channel ID (or possibly one off)

5. Now, if those controllers do not have the correct ID, how are they getting a command? And why are they getting a command at the same time that other controlles are getting stuck channels?

5. Is there a command going out to _all_?

6. Since half of the firmware is last year's I would expect those controllers to have the same frequncy of stuck channels, but it's not. One of the controllers that has a lost ID has 1.15beta (from last year) and the other has 1.16 (new for this year)

It just seems that thier are only two changes, a network addition and software update.

What's everyone else's thoughts?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 8:15pm
For you - what's keeping you on .69?  Why not go back to .41?

For the issue - I assume the lost ID are confirmed by using the Discover Units in the DL Utility, or by commanding a chase to a specify ID in the DL Utility and not seeing anything?  Do they reset to a value or just have no ID?  What would you estimate the total cat5 length?  I assume the sequences have changed since last year, so that clouds the issue a bit when comparing year to year.

An interesting test would be to assign all controllers the same ID, then compare behavior differences down the line.  Stuck channels....?  That's a bit of work for one test, but could let you know if there are network length/quality issues.

Software stuck channels (as far as I understand) are channels that receive an on command and don't receive/obey the off command - for whatever reason.  (I say software because I have had bad triacs that lead to stuck channels.)  The question is whether or not the command is getting out at all, or is just not picked up by the controller.  Another task that would be a LOT of work is to get a serial sniffer out and watch the commands - huge pile of data to dig thru...

Edited by deweycooter - 03 Dec 2009 at 8:18pm
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 9:01pm
I thought that there was a DB change between the two. Can .41 load a .69 sequence? If Borialis can run .69 sequences I can downgrade the server.
Disconver can not find the two controllers.
With the hardware utility, and ALL checked, ON/chase/twinkle/etc all get to the controller.
If they have an ID, I could not see it. I went from ID 1 though 20 and tested each with ON, and did not get them to respond. (One of the IDs is 12, I don't remember the other off-hand.)
cat5 100'? more? I can measure tomarow. It's less than last year because of the seperate networks. Net 1 is not terminated, net 2 is.
Sequences did change, I copied last years, and then imported this year's channels. I can send the one that I know has the error.
Durring any hardware tests, everything seems fine, but that's totally different software, speed, etc.
And that's how I understand a stuck software channel, partially. I see three options.
1. Software - sending bad data down the wire
2. Firmware - not obeying the commands
3. Hardware - triacs, etc.
As I see it.
3. The hardware seems fine, it can act normall and to firmware tests, and HWU tests.
2. Possibly, but some have the same firmware as last year and did not have as many stuck channels. If it was firmware, I would expect simmilar results.
That leavs option 1 again.
D-Light users Unite!
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 9:20pm
I don't think there was a change between 41 and 69 - I just recently upgraded (last week).  The hard part is the uncertainty that has been seen with up/downgrading.  I'd try on a spare machine first, though it may be as easy as doing the same process as upgrading:  uninstall current version via control panel, reboot, install preferred version, reboot.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 11:13pm
Okay, so I did do some more testing since I was up and it was bugging me.
The net 1 cat5 is 150 foot. net 2 is at least 225 foot.
Test was done with HWU with ALL and fastest chase.
I let it go and just watched the arch and the tree (last two controllers on the line, and the two that lost the IDs.)
Ever 8 seconds or so a channel would stick. The same channel on both of the last two controllers.
I moved the cable even further away from power, I'll try to cut a new cable and see if everything clears up.
I did happen to try another usb-RS485 adapter and it acted the same.
That doesn't explain the first two controllers of net 2 sticking though. (Yes, I did run the HWU on net 2 and nothing stick with that.)
D-Light users Unite!
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 11:58pm
 what happens when you run a single network? are you using the v3 adapter or v2? are you certain your cat-5's are good?
"In God We Trust" all others pay cash
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 12:01am
HWU ran on a sungle network.
Have not ran the show on a single network.
It's not damaged, and looks good its entire length, but I'll try and cut a new calble tomarow to test that.

D-Light users Unite!
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 12:23am
i had sticky channels last year too. 1.16 cured it. 1.17 brought the stickies back. so i went back to 1.16. has anyone else besides yourself had issues with the new adapter?
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 8:08am
.16 cured it? I thought that was only the LED fix.
I know that other people have sticking channels, but not sure about the adapter version.
I'll have more time over the weekend, so I'll try to determine better what firmware is sticking, make the new cable, re-set the IDs, try downgrading to .41, and upgrading the 1.15beta arch that's sticking.
See if any of those changes make a difference.
D-Light users Unite!
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 4:50pm
yes it cured it for me. as soon as 1.17 was installed i noticed sticking channels on 3 controllers and the ramps looked terrible. the difference between 1.16 and 1.17 was night and day. i had one controller lose its ID on 1.16 i reassigned it and swapped out the Cat-5's just in case and have been trouble free (fingers crossed) ever since.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>