Network fre.........ezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Pony_God

Weird!
What... Lag? or snow?LOL
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 4:56pm
That laggyness. PLay-Plaaaay-Play-PPPPPlay.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 9:36pm
No ideas Michael? I haven't had a chance to try another computer yet, but I will tomorrow.
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:10pm
Brunnesa is THE MAN. StarStar He posted a possible cause of several issues seen this year. See - http://d-light.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1713&p=12791#p12774
My show has been running LAG FREE for 1 hour now!!SmileSmile

Thanks Brunnesa!
Carey
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:59pm
I'm glad to hear that someone is getting a handle on what is going on.

So, your testing indicates that the device and VCP drivers are going out of sync due to a Windows update?

We've been working on a D2XX based playback engine here which does not use the VCP driver at all.  My own show is running on this beta engine tonight and it is a huge improvement over the old VCP based engine. 

There are still a few bugs with Firefly and WiLink, but we should have a version out of beta within the next couple days.  The history on this update is long (it was originally written for 2.0, then was worked into 1.2, and now has been stripped of some features and wrapped into 1.0).  Bonuses: better COM threading (heartbeat controlled by another thread so events at time zero will work properly), multiple Aurora instances can talk to the port at the same time.

Stay tuned.

DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 10:20pm
No windows update.... I manually updated the USB serial port driver but forgot to update/forgot there was another part to the install. So the "USB serial port" was at 2.6, but the "USB serial converter" was left at 2.2.4. They must not like each other. LOL

That is interesting info on the D2xx comm engine. Look forward to giving it a try.

Carey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 1:42pm
XP instructions:

1. Get the drivers from here:
2. Click on Start
3. Right click on "My computer", choose "Properties"
4. Click the "Hardware" tab
5. Click "Device Manager"
6. Expand the section "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" by clicking its "+"
7. Find the device "USB Serial Converter". 
8. Right click it and select "Update Driver"
9. Choose "No, Not This Time" and click "Next"
10. Choose "Install From A Specific Location" and click "Next"
11. Have "Include This Location In The Search" Selected and click "Browse"
12. Browse to and select the location where you downloaded the driver from FTDI
13. Click Next and proceed to install the driver
14. Repeat the above but this time expand"Ports (COM & LPT)" and update the driver for the corresponding "USB Serial Port (COM xx)"

A real pain, but it does fix the COM issues. 

The upcoming D2XX Aurora looks good and does fix most of the COM issues as well, but even the D2XX version performs best on the latest driver, so an upgrade is recommended.

Maybe someone could rewrite these instructions for Vista/Seven?
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 2:30pm

Uummm.... Did I give the impression that I didn't know how to update drivers??? or, are you posting for others sake? Ermm

I have mine updated. That's why it is working properly for me now. No lagging. 

Carey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 6:19pm
Posted for others' sake.  Updating drivers is not an obvious process... given the discussion at D-Light (successes) and my own success in internal testing, I thought directions for this fix needed publishing.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 07 Dec 2009 at 6:19pm
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 9:27pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AngryAngry

I did not run the show last night because most of my extension cords were under water. But tonight, I came home and the lag was back. Just as bad, or worse than before.

I don't understand. I checked the drivers (just in case my wife was trying to play a cruel trick on me!). The only thing I can think that I did when it started working right was to restart the computer/scheduler after the driver updated.

So just now, I checked scheduler MEM usage. It was at 58MB. So I stopped the show, closed scheduler, unpluged-replugged usb adapter, started scheduler, and started the show..... LAG FREE. Scheduler MEM usage when I started the show was at 38MB. For one loop thru the show, MEM usage never went over 40MB. I have no idea if this tells us anything, but I don't know what else to look for.

FWIW, I manually start scheduler/transmitter/controllers every night and turn everything off after every show at night. So its not like it has been running for days. And I am still using the 76.exe version

Any ideas Michael?

Carey

Edited by Comporder1 - 09 Dec 2009 at 9:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>