Network fre.........ezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 7:46pm
Ok.... I got my Dell laptop updated and working with Aurora and have started tonight's show with it. It started out fine (no lag), but in the first hour it had crashed twice, and now it has begun to lag. Ssssooooo...... Using the process of elimination, the only two things that were common from last night and tonight is the sequences/audio files, and all the hardware besides the computer. I guess I will start replacing the easy stuff first - cables. It would be nice if someone else could give my problem sequence a try, just to be sure it is not the sequence. Any takers? The problem will be that it works fine for a while (two hours tonight).
OuchCarey
brunnesa View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote brunnesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Comporder1

Ok.... I got my Dell laptop updated and working with Aurora and have started tonight's show with it. It started out fine (no lag), but in the first hour it had crashed twice, and now it has begun to lag. Ssssooooo...... Using the process of elimination, the only two things that were common from last night and tonight is the sequences/audio files, and all the hardware besides the computer. I guess I will start replacing the easy stuff first - cables. It would be nice if someone else could give my problem sequence a try, just to be sure it is not the sequence. Any takers? The problem will be that it works fine for a while (two hours tonight).
OuchCarey
I will give it a try.  I have a spare controller or two and a few extra computers.  Send me a PM and I will get you my e-mail.

Scott
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 7:10am
The links are at the beginning of this thread. If you need the audio file, let me know. Thanks!
brunnesa View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote brunnesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 4:31pm

Carey, I ran the sequence for about 5 hours with no problems at all.  I do not think the problem is the sequence.  By the way, your sequencing is great.  When testing I only used one controller.  I noticed that you have a lot of fast events.  I wonder if you might be saturating your network with that may channels and that quick of events?  Can you break up yor network into two different ones and see if that helps?

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 5:19pm
To the best of my knowledge, the adapters are only communicating one direction during playback.  So even if you only have one controller hooked up, it's still broadcasting all the channel data for every controller. 
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by brunnesa

Carey, I ran the sequence for about 5 hours with no problems at all.  I do not think the problem is the sequence.  By the way, your sequencing is great.  When testing I only used one controller.  I noticed that you have a lot of fast events.  I wonder if you might be saturating your network with that may channels and that quick of events?  Can you break up yor network into two different ones and see if that helps?

Thanks for testing this brunnesa. And thanks for the complement. Comming from a fellow Christmas light animator means alot more than everyone else that drives by. I have always wondered about network saturation, but nowhere have I seen any way of knowing. ie. # of channels with <.10 second. Maybe Michael can work a feature into Aurora that will warn of possible network saturation. I only have one adapter, but hope to get my wilink back from repair very soon. Maybe then I can set up a second network. I would think deweycooter is probably right.

Originally posted by deweycooter

To the best of my knowledge, the adapters are only communicating one direction during playback.  So even if you only have one controller hooked up, it's still broadcasting all the channel data for every controller. 

This would mean that if was the sequence brunessa should have seen issues with only one controller hooked up. Michael and I have been communicating as well about the issue. We feel that it has something to do with drivers, but it has lagged for me with two computers now. What are the odds that TWO configurations fail for me while all of you are not having problems.

Oh the joys of Christmas light animation! Smile

Carey
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 6:59pm
Network saturation isn't an easy calculation.  The protocol has built in ways to combine events on multiple channels into a single command if the conditions are correct.  It's really quite efficient.

A future version will do such notifications.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by deweycooter

This is correct.  Aurora sends all of the data down the line regardless of what controllers are actually present.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 12 Dec 2009 at 7:01pm
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 10:23pm
Do you happen to have the same AntiVirus, OS, or other software installed on both computers? Are they both the same model of computer? Are you using the front or rear USB port? You aren't using a hub, right?
Wil Aurora wirk in Windows safe mode? If it does, do you get lag?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 11:08pm

The machines are very different, with the main difference being 64bit vs 32bit OS. One is a dell inspiron 1000 celeron laptop. The desktop is an AMD 64 x2. I was having issues on my laptop with scheduler crashing. The error referenced pointed toward a VB file. Michael had me reset the VB files and scheduler no longer crashes and for the past two nights, I have not seen a lag! I also ran WU and it updated .net v1 to sp1, so I'm not real sure what fixed it.... OR IF it is even fixed. Now I am tracing down a controller that has lost it's ID 2 nights in a row!

Carey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>