Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Show Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tdionne View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tdionne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show Sound
    Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 5:58am
Does anyone have any recommendations on speakers to use in cold weather? I live in the North East and I have already been through two sets of speakers. I play the music loud but not so loud that it's obnoxious. I'm assuming that they are blowing from getting hot and then very cold and it's probably forming moisture but I need a speaker that will handle these conditions that won't cost an arm and a leg. Any ideas would be appreciated.
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 6:35am
Have you looked at any weather proof/resistant speakers from Radio Shack?
I also think HH Gregg also carries several as well.

As far as price I bought mine years ago and haven't shopped lately.

Holding breath for DMX.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:08am

Try a cone that's plastic instead of paper.

Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Buckeyelights View Drop Down

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:10am
I took an old pair of computer speakers, wrapped them in two plastic bags, set them about 4" - 5" above the ground.  So far they're working just fine.  The bags are not sealed super tight, just twisted the top and put the twisted top under the speakers.  If we get 8" of snow I might have a problem. 
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:29am
If all you want is the quality of the local car lot paging system, then there are plenty.  I presume you want more than one octave of music range though...

To do it right and still have full range music will cost about 2x to 3x more than what an equivalent non-weather rated speaker will cost (this applies all the way on up into the pro world).

That isn't to say you have to do it right...

Moisture is most likely more of a problem than temp extremes.  Direct sunlight would be a close second.  As mentioned, for cheap ones anyway, avoid paper cones.  Also, make sure the crossover board (inside the cabinet) isn't going to get wet. 

On the cheap DIY side, maybe you could try car speakers?  I've seen several with poly woofers and mylar tweeters (no paper).  Car speakers are designed for higher humidity, sunlight, and temp extremes.  You would still have to keep them out of direct contact with water of course.  A pair of 6x9s and boxes shouldn't cost too much if you aren't looking for perfection in sound quality... just don't expect much bass below the 100Hz area.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 17 Dec 2009 at 8:31am
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:36am
Car-speakers, that's not a bad idea. Not bad at all. I might just have to look into that myself for next year. Be a LOT cheaper than those stupid rock speakers. I did bring a nice Velodyne sub out a few times to fill in that lower end that the little speakers couldn't get near.

Standard audio is 8ohm, car is what 4? 6ohm? I can't remember now.
If it's 4ohm, make sure to put two in series so that your amp isn't burnt up.
Or, if your amp has the resistance setting in back, set it correctly.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 9:14am
Car speakers are typically 4 ohm, but be certain before buying.  Some out there are making 2.63 (or some other odd number) ohm speakers which they claim are "4 ohm safe".  Don't even think about putting one on a home amplifier.

A lot of home stereo amps will handle 4 ohms now, but do check the specs to make sure.  As noted, two 4 ohm speakers in series will work. 

It has been years since I've seen an amp with the setting in the back.  Do they still make those?  Next thing you are going to ask about 70V transformer systems.

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 9:39am
2.63ohm!? Those for those odd new 24V cars?
D-Light users Unite!
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 10:09am
Polk Audio makes some nice marine rated 3-way 6x9s.  Cut a hole in the side of a cooler, mount them.  Toss in a battery and an amp - you'll be able to use it for more than just Christmas lights.  The cooler really helps with the bass response.  Look on teambadmonkey.com under Misc - you'll see a quick and dirty howto.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 10:17am
That's what I was about to say...
That beyond a car speaker, would be marine. I'd imagine thouse are purpose built to live wet.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>