lost a controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lost a controller
    Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 8:22am
I was not sure where to post this because I haven't had any issues this year until now. My show had been running along smoothly until last night when the 4th controller in my network(of which I only have 1 with 4 controllers) just dropped out. I used the hardware utilty and it only discovered 3 controllers but when I used it to turn all lights on they all came on and when I hit the test button on the 4th controller it worked fine. I'm thinking it has to be the cat5 cable.
I'm going to re-asign the id's to the controllers and see if that fixes it. If it fails to fix it the only other thing it could be is the cat5 right?

P.S If I use my laptop which uses a different com port to asign the id's and then hook it back up to my desktop would it be a problem? I have the controllers mounted and in order to redo the id's on the desktop I would have to pull them down and I would rather not have to do that.

Thanks for any help ya'll might be able to offer
Jeff

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 8:56am
Sounds like a lost ID - if this is your first speed bump, I'd be inclined to re-assign and hope it doesn't happen again.  You may consider upgrading to the latest firmware if you haven't - but if it was me, I'd just let it go.

The ID gets written to the chip on the controller so it doesn't matter which computer writes it there.
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 9:00am
Thanks Dewey
Jeff

breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 10:13am
Ok Dewey, I hope Your still around. I tried to get the hardware utility to recognize the 4th controller even using the cat5 cables that I know worked for the other controllers to plug straight into the 4th controller and no matter what I tried the hardware utility could not find it but it is finding the 3 others and when I turn all lights on with the hardware utilty the lights that are controlled by the 4th controller light up along wth the rest and testing the 4th controller turns the lights on. Please help me obi wan kanobi!
Jeff

Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 10:29am
First try resetting the address via the Hardware Utility under the Config tab (I think?).  When you start the HW Util, select your com port and make sure the address is ALL.  Make sure you only have this board connected to the computer - otherwise ALL your boards' addresses will get set.  Choose the correct address and click Set.  That should fix it - do a discover units to make sure.

-----------
If that doesn't work - you will need to reload the firmware on the board.  The Firmware Utility can be downloaded (you need to be registered and logged in at d-light).  Also, download the firmware - version 1.17

If I remember the steps correctly:
Make sure ONLY this board is connected.
Unplug the board
Put a jumper across JP1
Power up the board
LED should start flashing fast - this indicates bootloader mode
Start up the Firmware Utility - select your COM port
You'll probably have to set it to FORCE for the controller ID (since it currently doesn't have one)
Once you're connected, you browse to your firmware file and tell it to load.
Once complete - shut down the FW Updater, remove the jumper, and power cycle the board.  Try it with the HW Util and you should be able to discover it.

Edited by deweycooter - 22 Dec 2009 at 10:31am
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 10:39am
I don't have a jumper and wouldn't know how to use it if I did
Jeff

breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 10:44am
I have all the firmware and the updater, Do I really have to use a jumper
Jeff

Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 10:46am
Find the two pins on the board that have JP1 next to them.

Get a piece of insulated wire, strip off 1/4", hold the exposed wire so that it touches both pins as you power up the board - this can be tricky.  And please don't hurt yourself.  As soon as the LED start flashing fast, you can remove the wire.

Here's a pic of a jumper - these are much easier to use because you can just slide it onto the pins: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/pcpartscollection_2079_57835564
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 10:51am
Ok as soon as I get the LED flashing fast I can remove the wire with it controller still powered on and load the firmware the shut down the firmware updater and restart the controller then use the hardware utility right?
Jeff

Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 11:18am
Yep - that sounds correct.  But only do the firmware upgrade if you can't set the address via the hardware utility.

Edited by deweycooter - 22 Dec 2009 at 11:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>