rgb channel problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rgb channel problem?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 12:15pm
i need a little help here. ive got 48 channels setup rgb on 3 dcx16's. irq's are 1, b and c. in hwu all is good, no problems. when running a sequence with a board connected and 2 rgb channels wired up for testing things get crazy. starting a sequence the behave normally. when there is no "on" or "twinkle" commands the lights will "strobe" until the next "on" command. have you guys seen this before? thanks, John   
"In God We Trust" all others pay cash
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 10:15pm
Nope, can't say as that I have.  Wink  I'll take it that you've got v1.11 firmware on the DCx16 and that you are not using the enhanced effects (ramping shimmer, etc.).  Something seems to be confusing the commands being sent to the board and my best guess is the ID selection.

Place the ID's in sequential order.  Instead of 1, B, C, try A,B,C, or 1,2,3.  If that doesn't work, report back and we'll try something else. 
~Jonathan
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 11:57pm
thanks for the reply, i created a seperate sequence just for testing this problem. i tried many combinations. when the channels are "normal" (not RGB) everything works great. when i delete say channels 1, 2, & 3 and create an RGB channel thats when it happens. i tried switching the boards, lights connected to the boards, switched things up a lot but get same result everytime.
as far as ID selection, the problem exists wether its 1 board or all 3. we are about 12 hrs into our 2nd song for 09 and ive got to know wether its an Aurora thing, a D-Light thing or a JohnnyL thing before we go further. thanks again, John
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 12:51am
Start by eliminating the simple things: 

The boards are all running firmware v1.11, correct?
You are not using enhanced effects (e.g. random ramping twinkle), correct?
The boards aren't set to servo mode (from a past show perhaps), correct?
How are you are connecting to the boards?  CAT 5, wiLink, or both?
You only set up your first board as a "D-Light DCx16 (1.13+ firmware)" (ignore the 1.13+, it's a misnomer for the DCx16 which is currently at v1.11), correct?
After that you right clicked starting with the first channel and, choosing channel properties, you ensured that "D-Light RGB over ACx16 or DCx16" was selected, and then you entered the RGB channel information properly for all 16 channels, correct?

Are we good so far?  If so, what commands are working for you and what commands are not?
~Jonathan
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 11:34am
1. 1.11 firmware all boards are new

2. no ramping twinkle etc.

3. no servo mode

4. cat 5, no wiLink

5. i set the board up as a DCx16, (right click) then deleted and recreated the channels as RGB over ACx16 or DCx16. i then entered the channel information as needed per channel. with 1 channel left over on each controller which is just a DCx16 channel.

Now, all channel functions are normal, On, Twinkle, Shimmer etc. work fine. Its when there are no commands that it get weird. no commands = random "strobing" on all elements until the channel is turned back on.

Ive also tested the boards using non RGB channels 1-16 and the boards performed normally. off is off. its only when in RGB that the problem pops up. thanks again, John 
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 1:48pm
This probably won't make a difference but something worth trying is to set the entire board as RGB instead of 15 out of 16 channels. 

Forgot to ask, what is the Data Rate (Settings, Serial Network) set at?  56000?

Did you set up your boards so that all the red are on one board, the green on another, and the blue on another, or did you set it up as channel 1 is red, channel 2 is green, channel 3 is blue, 4 is red, 5 is green, 6 is blue, etc. on one board?

Do ramps work for you?  Is it just off commands that are the issue?  Have you set an intensity at 0% and placed it in a cell, or just not programmed an effect in the cell / used the 'X' tool?

There is quite a lot going on behind the scenes right now (please be patient if this isn't resolved immediately), but I'll try to find time to replicate your issue with my two DCx16 boards.
~Jonathan
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 2:34pm
Jon, Data Rate is 56000
the boards are setup network 1 ID 1 channels 1 red,2 green,3 blue  etc. etc.

have not tried the Ramps it is only Off where we have problems. when channles are to Twinkle or On in a set color or color transistion it all works great but...where there are NO commands they all just "strobe".
this years show includes 8 ACx16's 3 DCx16's and 2 Firefly's and is spread includes 2 houses which is why ID #s are so far apart (1,B,C). thanks again, John  
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 5:38pm
I am not able to replicate your issue here.  All commands on my board are received fine, but to be fair I am using a different version of Aurora than you are.

Since you are using the RGB tool to program effects, try programming a Set Color command using hex value "010000" (or just put a '1' in the 'R' spot and leave th others fields set to '0').  This will send an on command to the controller, albeit one that is such a small  intensity that the lights shouldn't even respond.  Let me know if that works.

If not, try creating the channel from scratch, not by making a controller first and then editing it, but by right clicking and saying 'add new channel', then choosing RGB and assigning the channels to it.
~Jonathan
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 8:20pm
i tried deleting the channels in the test sequence and it was throwing errors at me closing the program. so i created a new sequence and added the RGB without adding a controller and it works fine. everything responds as it should. ill try the hex thing next. thanks again, John
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 9:17pm
Glad to see you back on track.

If it happens again, you might want to write down the errors you were getting in case Micheal wants to see them once things get a little less crazy. 
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>